SW Museum Skills Programme
The South West Museum Skills Programme is publicly funded by Arts Council England alongside the support of partners to provide access to subsidised museum specific training in the region delivered by the South West Museum Development Programme with additional content contributed by a range of regional and national partners.
***If you are having trouble booking using Internet Explorer please try an alternative browser such as Google Chrome or Firefox or call us on 0117 922 4653***
2017/18 Museum Skills: Essentials – Tranche 3
|Understanding your Museum Audience||Thursday 18 January||The Holburne Museum, Bath||BOOK NOW|
|Rights Management||Monday 22 January||The Salisbury Museum, Salisbury||BOOK NOW|
|Achieving Greater Diversity in Volunteering||Wednesday 7 February||Castle House, Museum of Somerset, Taunton||BOOK NOW|
|Making the Most of Working with Young people & Schools||Tuesday 20 February||Castle House, Museum of Somerset, Taunton||BOOK NOW|
|Recruitment & Retention of Volunteers||Wednesday 21 February||Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre, Chippenham||BOOK NOW|
|Equipping Museums for the new General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR||Tuesday 6 March||Exeter Community Centre, Exeter||BOOK NOW|
2017/18 Museum Skills: In Focus
|Making the Most of Your Textile Skills in Caring for Costume & Textile Collections*||Thursday 25th January||Royal Albert Memorial Museum, Exeter||BOOKING FORM|
*A £20 charge per delegate is issued upon the submission of a completed booking form to email@example.com . The charge is to cover the associated delivery costs.
2017/18 Museum Skills: Essentials – Tranche 2 (Previous sessions delivered listed below)
|Seeing the Light of Day: Archaeological Collections & Sustainable Solutions||Tuesday 14 November||M Shed, Bristol||FULL|
|Stewards of our Future: Museums’ Environmental Practice Today||Tuesday 21 November||M Shed, Bristol||BOOK NOW|
|Managing Volunteer Teams||Wednesday 22 November||Museum in the Park, Stroud||FULL|
|Emergency Planning||Tuesday 28 November||Cornwall Regimental Museum, Bodmin||FULL|
The SW Museum Skills Programme is publicly funded by Arts Council England alongside the support of partners to provide access to subsidised museum specific training in the region delivered by the South West Museum Development Programme with additional content contributed by a range of regional and national partners. Since 2012, South West Museum Development have invested nearly £100,000 to support the region’s training needs. This roughly equates to the value of £55 per delegate place.
It is also supported by the contributions of rooms, resources, time and expertise from museums around the South West. The generosity shown by these organisations means that we are able to do more for the sector’s workforce.
The training is designed to be accessible to delegates of all abilities with training organised into Beginner, Intermediate and Progression levels. Sessions are themed around three areas; Collections Care, Organisational Development and Audiences and Communities which broadly mirror the three sections of the Accreditation Standard.
The SW Museum Skills programme is FREE to everyone (paid staff, volunteer, trustee) who meets the following criteria:
- works within an south west Accredited museum or National Trust property, or
- works within a south west provisionally Accredited or formally working towards Accreditation organisation
- Is an individual or organisational member of the South West Federation of Museums and Art Galleries*
*The South West Federation of Museums and Art Galleries makes a contribution to the programme to enable their membership to access Museum Skills training as part of their membership benefits package.
- Bookings for the SW Museum Skills Programme are via Eventbrite, an external booking site unless specified. Please click the link of the session and follow the booking instructions.
- When you book a place on the SW Museum Skills Programme you will receive a booking confirmation from Eventbrite or the South West Museum Development Programme for training not booked through Eventbrite.
- You will be contacted a minimum of 2 weeks prior to the course date on the email address provided at the time of booking to notify you of the date your delegate pack will be issued. You may cancel your place free of charge between this email notification and the day before the date of issue of the delegate pack. If you cancel your place after the delegate pack has been issued your organisation will be issued a late cancellation fee of £50. Please see terms and Conditions below for further information.
- To ensure the training provided benefits as many organisations as possible, should more than 2 delegates per organisation book onto a course, you may be asked to relinquish your place should other organisations without delegates booked onto the course be on the Waiting List.
By booking a place on the SW Museum Skills Programme, you are agreeing to the following terms and conditions:
- That you are either paid staff, volunteer or trustee who works within or with a South West Museum or heritage organisation which is in Arts Council England’s Accreditation Scheme or are an individual member or belong to an organisation which is a member of the SW Federation of Museums and Art Galleries.
- It is a condition of receiving the training provided without charge that the online evaluation sent to the email address provided at the point of booking is completed by the specified deadline in the email notification, unless a paper evaluation is specifically requested and submitted on the day of the training session.
- That by booking a place you agree that you are booking as a representative of your organisation and should you cancel you’re booking without sufficient notice (following the issue of the delegate pack) your organisation is responsible for paying the late cancellation fee of £50.
If you can no longer attend the training session which you have booked on please let us know by going back into your Eventbrite booking and cancelling or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible.
The SW Museum Skills Programme is a publicly funded programme and in order to make best use of these funds there is a cancellation fee of £50 to the organisation of the booked attendee should the booking be cancelled once the delegate information pack has been sent out 1 week prior to the date of the session.
SW Museum Skills Essentials
- Museums as spaces for wellbeing, Thursday 8 June, Royal Albert Memorial Museum, Exeter
- What can documentation do for me? Thursday 15 June, Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre, Chippenham
- Planning & sharing – Kids in Museums Takeover Day, Monday 17 July, Brunel’s SS Great Britain, Bristol
- Planning & sharing – Kids in Museums Takeover Day, Thursday 7 September, Exeter Community Centre, Exeter
- Engaging Meetings for Trustees, Wednesday 20 September, M Shed, Bristol
- Recruitment & Retention of Volunteers, Tuesday 26 September, M Shed, Bristol
- Effective Marketing for Beginners, Tuesday 10 October, Royal Albert Memorial Museum, Exeter
- Documentation & Digitisation of Collections, Wednesday 1 November, Museum of Somerset (Castle House), Taunton
- Introduction to Collections Care, Wednesday 8 November, Exeter Community Centre, Exeter
- Seeing the Light of Day: Archaeological Collections & Sustainable Solutions, Thursday 9 November, Royal Albert Memorial Museum, Exeter
SW Museum Skills: In Focus
- Preparing to borrow (TEG), Tuesday 4 April, Exeter Community Centre
- Display & mounting of banners, Wednesday 14 June, Cornwall Regimental Museum, Bodmin
- Knowing what to borrow (1/6) Thursday 25 May, British Museum, London
- Requesting a loan (2/6) Thursday 29 June, Royal Albert Memorial Museum, Exeter
- Part Budgeting and costs (3/6) Thursday 20 July, Bristol Museum & Art Gallery, Bristol
- Facilities and security (4/6) Thursday 21 September, Poole Museum, Poole
- Agreements and insurance (5/6) Thursday 19 October, Bristol Museum & Art Gallery, Bristol
- Making the loan happen (6/6) Thursday 23 November, Royal Albert Memorial Museum, Exeter
Please contact us at email@example.com