SW Museum Skills Programme
The South West Museum Skills Programme is publicly funded by Arts Council England alongside the support of partners to provide access to subsidised museum specific training in the region delivered by the South West Museum Development Programme with additional content contributed by a range of regional and national partners.
2017/18 Museum Skills: Essentials – Tranche 1
|Museums as spaces for wellbeing||Tuesday 8 June||Royal Albert Memorial Museum, Exeter||Book Now|
|What can documentation do for me?||Thursday 15 June||Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre, Chippenham||Book Now|
2017/18 Museum Skills: In Focus
|Preparing to borrow (TEG)||Tuesday 4 April||Exeter Community Centre||Completed|
|Display & mounting of banners||Wednesday 14 June||Cornwall Regimental Museum, Bodmin||Closed Booking|
|Knowing what to borrow (1/6)||Thursday 25 May||British Museum, London||See Below|
|Requesting a loan (2/6)||Thursday 29 June||Royal Albert Memorial Museum, Exeter||See Below|
|Part Budgeting and costs (3/6)||Thursday 20 July||Bristol Museum & Art Gallery, Bristol||See Below|
|Facilities and security (4/6)||Thursday 21 September||Poole Museum, Poole||See Below|
|Agreements and insurance (5/6)||Thursday 19 October||Bristol Museum & Art Gallery, Bristol||See Below|
|Making the loan happen (6/6)||Thursday 23 November||Royal Albert Memorial Museum, Exeter||See Below|
During 2017-18 SWMD has negotiated a six-session programme Getting Loan Ready from the British Museum (BM) funded by the Heritage Lottery to support loan activity between nationals, MPMS and regional museums.
To take part in the British Museum programme please send an Expression of Interest (maximum 300 words) to firstname.lastname@example.org telling us why, you, on behalf of your organisation would like to take part in the programme.
The SW Museum Skills Programme is publicly funded by Arts Council England alongside the support of partners to provide access to subsidised museum specific training in the region delivered by the South West Museum Development Programme with additional content contributed by a range of regional and national partners. Since 2012, South West Museum Development have invested nearly £100,000 to support the region’s training needs. This roughly equates to the value of £55 per delegate place.
It is also supported by the contributions of rooms, resources, time and expertise from museums around the South West. The generosity shown by these organisations means that we are able to do more for the sector’s workforce.
The training is designed to be accessible to delegates of all abilities with training organised into Beginner, Intermediate and Progression levels. Sessions are themed around three areas; Collections Care, Organisational Development and Audiences and Communities which broadly mirror the three sections of the Accreditation Standard.
The SW Museum Skills programme is FREE to everyone (paid staff, volunteer, trustee) who meets the following criteria:
- works within an south west Accredited museum or National Trust property, or
- works within a south west provisionally Accredited or formally working towards Accreditation organisation
- Is an individual or organisational member of the South West Federation of Museums and Art Galleries*
*The South West Federation of Museums and Art Galleries makes a contribution to the programme to enable their membership to access Museum Skills training as part of their membership benefits package.
- Bookings for the SW Museum Skills Programme are via Eventbrite, an external booking site unless specified. Please click the link of the session and follow the booking instructions.
- When you book a place on the SW Museum Skills Programme you will receive a booking confirmation from Eventbrite or the South West Museum Development Programme for training not booked through Eventbrite.
- You will be contacted a minimum of 2 weeks prior to the course date on the email address provided at the time of booking to notify you of the date your delegate pack will be issued. You may cancel your place free of charge between this email notification and the day before the date of issue of the delegate pack. If you cancel your place after the delegate pack has been issued your organisation will be issued a late cancellation fee of £50. Please see terms and Conditions below for further information.
- To ensure the training provided benefits as many organisations as possible, should more than 2 delegates per organisation book onto a course, you may be asked to relinquish your place should other organisations without delegates booked onto the course be on the Waiting List.
By booking a place on the SW Museum Skills Programme, you are agreeing to the following terms and conditions:
- That you are either paid staff, volunteer or trustee who works within or with a South West Museum or heritage organisation which is in Arts Council England’s Accreditation Scheme or are an individual member or belong to an organisation which is a member of the SW Federation of Museums and Art Galleries.
- It is a condition of receiving the training provided without charge that the online evaluation sent to the email address provided at the point of booking is completed by the specified deadline in the email notification, unless a paper evaluation is specifically requested and submitted on the day of the training session.
- That by booking a place you agree that you are booking as a representative of your organisation and should you cancel you’re booking without sufficient notice (following the issue of the delegate pack) your organisation is responsible for paying the late cancellation fee of £50.
If you can no longer attend the training session which you have booked on please let us know by going back into your Eventbrite booking and cancelling or contact us at email@example.com as soon as possible.
The SW Museum Skills Programme is a publicly funded programme and in order to make best use of these funds there is a cancellation fee of £50 to the organisation of the booked attendee should the booking be cancelled once the delegate information pack has been sent out 1 week prior to the date of the session.
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org